New Favorite Authors From 2017

This post was inspired by The Broke and The Bookish's Top Ten Tuesday prompt!



Leigh Bardugo

Author of Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom, The Grisha Trilogy, Wonder Woman: Warbringer, and Language of Thorns

Leigh Bardugo has become one of my automatic read authors. I have read all of her books and liked them all. I am obsessed with Six of Crows and the Crooked Kingdom

Marissa Meyer 
 Author of The Lunar Chronicles, Heartless and some other book whose name escapes me.

The Lunar Chronicles. Cinder, Scarlet, Cress and Winter, with stand alone spin off, Fairest, a short story collection, Stars Above, and of course the graphic novel, WIRES AND NERVE! (Vol. I) 

Which I love and are now books I will force all future friends and relatives to read. Also the book that I am currently forcing all my friends and relatives to read. 

The Lunar Chronicles are also my favorite example of a awesome fairy tale rewrite. Perfect blending of old and new plot being woven together.

Kasie West
Author of P.S. I Like You, By Your Side, The Fill-In Boyfriend and others

Some of Kasie West's books are new favorites, like P.S. I Like You, but I didn't absolutely love all of her books. They were ok, but didn't really stick. All the same, when ever one of her books is coming out, I'll make sure to check it out. 

Jessica George Day 
Author of The Dragon Slippers Trilogy, Tuesdays At The Castle, and Silver In The Blood, The Princess of the Midnight Ball series.

I honestly don't know if she's written more books then this. But every one of her books I've read, including the ones aimed at middle school kids and that one weird werewolf one, I've loved.

Jennifer A Nielson 
Author of the Ascendance Trilogy and the Mark of the Thief. 

I loved the Ascendance Trilogy, but didn't finish the Mark of the Thief series. And I think that had more to do with the fact that I don't like reading stories set in ancient Rome then it has to do with her writing style. I am so excited for her new book coming out this year!

Geogette Heyer
Author of a huge amount of Regency period novels and that one that is based of the middle ages. 

I have read her books Sylvester or the Wicked Uncle, Arabella, Faro's Daughter and Simon the Coldhearted. (I've actually read more, but these were the four I liked the best)

Sylvester or The Wicked Uncle and Arabella remind me of Pride and Prejudice, and Faro's Daughter and Simon the Coldhearted made me laugh so hard. 





What new authors did you find in 2017? *gasp* Can you believe it's 2018?  

-Mary Kate


Comments

  1. I found Nick Lake, his writing is so beautiful.

    And no, I cannot believe it's 2018, how?! O_O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What did he write? I haven't heard of him before...

      Delete
    2. He wrote Whisper to Me, which is one of my new favorite books!

      Lilah

      Delete
    3. What Lilah said, and it's one of mine too. I just bought it! ^_^

      Delete
    4. I actually bought it because I saw it on your Goodreads, Gray. I really really like it!

      Lilah

      Delete
    5. Now I really need to read Whisper to Me. XD

      Delete
    6. @ Lilah, YAY! We need to make a mini fandom for it!!! XD

      @ Ivie, yes, you do.

      Delete
    7. @Gray YAS TO THE MINI FANDOM!!!!!

      @Ivie Yes you need to read it!!!

      Lilah

      Delete
    8. OOH! I'll read it! I'm guessing its contemporary?

      Delete
    9. It is! I would let you borrow it but I bought it on my Kindle....

      Lilah

      Delete
  2. K.A Emmons is my new favorite author! Her book is amazing! I also found Kara Swanson. I love her book, too. I found Marissa Meyer in 2017 and enjoyed the Lunar Chronicles very much. (Wolflet for life!!!)

    I think that might be it. Anyone else I've read from didn't leave a lasting impression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is your favorite book by K.A. Emmons or Kara Swanson? What genre do they write?

      Wolflet is the best, isn't it?

      Delete
    2. K.A Emmons, also known as Abbiee's sister Kate, wrote The Blood Race, which is her debut novel. Her 2nd book, World's Apart, will be coming out soon enough and the cover for it is EPIC!

      Kara Swanson wrote The Girl Who Could See. Both books are self-published and epic and beautiful and I LOVE THEM!!

      They're both a bit of sci-fi and fantasy.

      Yes, yes they are. XD

      Delete
    3. *adds stack of books to huge TBR pile*

      Delete
  3. Oy, more about the Lunar Chronicles! Seems like I really need to get my freezing hands on a copy of those....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought a copy of The False Prince of the Ascendence Trilogy, and I loved it!! I haven't read any books from the others yet, but I hope to in 2018!!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sage is amazing. YOU HAVE TO KEEP READING! THE LAST BOOK IS AMAZING!

      Delete
  5. Great authors, Leigh Bradugo is the best. Six of Crows is so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally forced one of my friends to read it and she is obsessed.

      The army grows...

      Delete
  6. I discovered a bunch of indie authors—Tricia Mingerink, Anne Elisabeth Stengl, Kara Swanson...I’d recommend pretty much everything they’ve written. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I read a lot of Indie authors this year...but I keep hearing about Kara Swanson, so I'll look her up. I'll probably look all of them up, actually.

      Delete
  7. oh man I have Six of Crows literally waiting for me to read right now xD good to know you recommend it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! That is one of my all time favorite! Let me know when you finish so we can fangirl together!

      Delete
  8. I discovered Marissa Meyer and read Six of Crows - the Ascendance trilogy was last year ;)

    I also read a murder mystery by Georgette Heyer! The Unfinished Clue; the best bit was the writing style - and the romance. That was cute. ;P I might have to look into her other novels!
    - Jem Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May I suggest Faro's Daughter. It's my favorite Georgette Heyer book ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment