Ocean Reads




Books with an ocean setting! Should be easy! Right?

Nope. 

Apparently, most of the ocean books I was thinking of, are more...beach books? So here is a list of books that actually are set in the ocean or mostly set in the ocean.
    
To Kill A Kingdom by Alexandra Cristo
A sort of little mermaid retelling. It's super cute! And it is a mermaid/siren book where they're actually...murderous, man-eating creatures? It's so violent. I love it. 
   

The Brother Band Chronicles by John Flanagan
While the first book takes place mostly on land, the majority of the series happens on the deck of a ship (or in the ports where the crew stops.) Also, it involves a crew of misfits and PIRATES!


The Girl From Everywhere and The Ship Beyond Time by Heidi Heilig
It's a ship that can time travel! Basically, all they need is a map from a different time period and they can travel there! (Also it has a cute pickpocket? So read it?)


Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates: The Forgotten War that Changed American History by Brian Kilmeade and Don Yaeger
Ok so this is non-fiction and so most of you are probably not overly interested. But if you were interested in getting into non-fic, but want something that is a little easier to read, you should pick this up! It's also really really funny. You should read it just for the flagpole scene alone. 


The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
This one doesn't actually happen at sea, but it has murderous ocean ponies. MURDEROUS OCEAN PONIES! That wander the island at night and eat people. So the people on the island just...shut their doors at night? And catch the horses and ride them. And ride these horses that to kill them.


Did I miss any good ocean books? Do you have any suggestions? 
MK

Comments

  1. I honestly don't think I've ever read a book that has remotely ANYTHING to do with oceans but AHHHHH, these all sound so good!!! *-* We actually have Scorpio Races at our library, but I wasn't sure the content, so I didn't pick it up. Is there anything really dark/demonic themed or inappropriate, if I might ask?

    I'm kinda weird about what I read. I have to content check everything. LOL

    But geezzz, thank's a bunch for this post! I really enjoyed your mini reviews - they're so cute and packed full of your personality and Ahhh!!!

    ~ Lily Cat (Boots) | lilycatscountrygirlconfessions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how to describe it...Its not quite DEMON and more myth... Like think Irish mythical horses? I thought it was ok, that's me so IDK?

      Aww! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. The nonfiction book sounds awesome! I happen to love history and forgotten parts of it.
    For some reason though I thought that the The Brother Band Chronicles was about a boy band. (Like One Direction or BTS) and I just found it weird until I realized it was not about that. XD I think that To Kill A Kingdom sounds awesome I love the idea of mermaids, even sirens, so that sounds amazing.
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The non-fic is really good! And HILARIOUS.
      Lol. Well, if Brother Band was about a boy band I probably would not have read it.
      If you read any of them let me know what you think!

      Delete
  3. I really, really want to read Scorpio Races, but all of these sound interesting! Awesome list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SCORPIO RACES IS SO GOOD! Let me know if you read it!

      Delete
  4. I mean, if you want to go with the classics, you couldn't have listed The Old Man and the Sea or Moby Dick. (but both of those are boring so bleh)

    And there's also the Waterfire Saga by Jennifer Donnelly which is amazing!! And you should totally read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! I've never heard of the Waterfire Saga...

      Delete
  5. I haven't read a lot of books in the ocean.... These sound good.

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Girl from Everywhere is so good!!
    Perfect book to read by the ocean.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment