Character Behavior Notes // A Really Old Draft I Am Finally Publishing


This blog post has been sitting in my blog post draft section for ages.

  • Sneezes 
    Maybe a super high pitched sneeze from the big, tough, silent warrior?  Or maybe something normal (the sun) that makes someone sneeze? Someone who laughs until they start sneezing violently? Someone who always sneezes a million times? (I personally always sneeze twice and I HATE it because I will sneeze once and then someone says "bless you!" and I have to be like, Yeah. Hold that thought a second....*sneezes again*)
     
  • Laughs
    What do they laugh like? Deep laugh? High pitched laugh? Do they throw their head back when they laugh? Do they laugh silently? (Which is what I do some of the time and its absolutely annoying)  Do they laugh so hard they start shaking? Does their laugh sound like they're crying? Do people get confused when they laugh because they think they're crying? If so, is there one person who can always tell which is which?
     
  • How do they walk?
    Are they clumsy? Delicate? Delicate timid or delicate graceful? Are they graceful and quiet because they were a dancer or a hunter? Did they teach themselves to walk quietly or is it just something they're good at? Or do they have loud steps? Padding steps? Are they a big person who walks "as quietly as he can" or a little person that "we don't know how she walks so loud, she's 100 pounds dripping wet." 
     
  • Facial expressions
    PLEASE PLEASE don't use the same facial expressions for all of them? Facial expressions describe a character's emotions without dialog, yes. But there are other ways. So he's dejected. Don't describe his face. Describe his slumped shoulders. Tell us that he's listlessly poking the fire with a stick. Or staring at his boot. Facial expressions are fine, but also if you keep. saying. people. are. smirking. all. the. time. it 1.) gets really repetitive 2.) loses some of its power

    Look around at the people around you. Not everyone smirks regularly. NOT EVERYONE CAN RAISE ONE EYEBROW PLEASE STOP. Some people can pull off the eyebrow quirk where they raise just the corner of their eyebrow and some people can move one slightly higher then the other and some people can't do either.
     
  • Give them catchphrases, accents, and weird sayings
    Catchphrases sound like a really really cheesy thing that should be used lightly and it is. Not a superhero catchphrases (though that too!) Think about your friends. I have a friend who says "How rude" all the time. Another one says "cool" to just about everything.
     
  • Swearing
    I know a lot of you don't use swearing or cussing of any kind in your writing and some of you invent new things...but people tend to have one thing they say. Granted, if they're going off at you, they'll use other things but when they stub their toe? What is the thing that you automatically say without thinking, like when you stub your toe? Are they running through the woods and trip over a big rock? WHAT IS THEIR "YIKES!" SWEAR WORD? And if not swear word, what do they say? Oops? A vague yelp?
     
So what did you think of my random character notes? Does the constant literary eyebrow raises annoy you? (Do you still write them *cough* me *cough*)

MK

Comments

  1. I really like this!! Especially the point about sneezing. I feel like it's sometimes difficult to write into a story, just because it's not used a lot in books and so there's little frame of reference for how to actually write it, but it would add so much realism!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. (Though now I'm trying to think of every book I've ever read where people sneeze, LOL).
      I personally have to know WAY more about my characters than I ever write into the story :D

      Delete
  2. This is awesome!!! *bookmarks post for when doing any kind of character building*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, thank you, but your characters are also pretty amazing as is? SO KEEP DOING WHAT YOU'RE DOING *cries* I CAN'T WAIT FOR BOOK TWO

      Delete
  3. Wow, I love this! It's so true about the way characters use their faces differently--it's so true not everyone raises one eyebrow! (Even though it's a fun expression to write. :D). Good reminders for me, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its SO much fun to write and I always have to catch myself and ask, "Would they actually raise an eyebrow in this situation or can this character even raise an eyebrow? WHAT ARE YOU DOING MK?"

      Delete

Post a Comment