College Based Books

I decided to list all the books in order of how realistic I think it is realistic college wise, but then realized that
A.) My perspective is only one view point and is kind of subjective rather than universal
and B.) Most of these actually have what I feel is a fairly realistic and believable depiction of college!




I really enjoyed this book and its one of the first books that comes in mind when someone mentions a college based YA book.

I thought the idea that if Cath didn't go to the cafeteria in the first couple days that she would decide to just never go. I certainly have done this...Not with the cafeteria specifically, but still. And while I consciously try to break restrictions I put on myself (subconsciously or otherwise) it makes sense that Cath would need more prompting to force her out of her rut. (Also eating cliff bars in your room because you don't want to go to the cafeteria is a mood)

An she's an introverted writer so her story will probably be extra appealing to all the introverted writers of the blogging world. But even if you don't fit in that group (which I'm sure in a tiny minority in book blogging...) Cath is overall a SUPER relatable character.



Emergency Contact is about two people, Penny and Sam. They meet, (NOT in a meet cute) switch numbers and then end up being there for the other person via text. They don't see each other often face to face, but via text messages they're sharing secrets and dreams. The book and its characters are messy and gritty and awkward. Its about messy family relationships and anxiety and figuring out who you are as an adult.

But Penny is starting in college. There isn't nearly as much of the story happening on campus (like Fangirl) but the campus plays an important part of the story.




American Panda is another book about finding yourself in college and messed up relationships with your parents! The story centers around a Taiwanese-American girl, Mei, as she tries to follow traditions and her parents wishes to become a doctor (even though she hates germs). And its set at Harvard.

The story mainly revolves around her interactions with her parents or other people from her non-college social circles...but the scenes set at the college were believable! I really enjoyed reading about her adventures on campus.




Again But Better is ALSO about strained relationships with your parents and following the career/degree choice that they're pushing for ever though you don't want to! But more importantly its about STUDY ABROAD.     

Because of this there is little to no focus on school. While the characters are taking classes, you don't hear too much about them. 




What college books have you read?
Any from this list? Any good suggestions?

Mk


Comments

  1. Ack, Fangirl was so good! I've made predictions that Cath's first year of college is going to look exactly like mine, which is . . . worrying. XD

    But I'll have to check the rest of these out! They sound super interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought too...especially with how much I love to eat cliff bars, LOL. But it ended up working out ok for me and I bet the same will be true for you

      Delete
  2. These all sounds so good! I haven't read a lot of college books, but one I remember liking is "Finding Felicity", and also "Dear Mr. Knightley", which is actually about grad school...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read either of those, but I'll add them to my list!

      Delete
  3. Gonna be honest, I hardly ever read contemporary. Not sure why? I've read some, and usually enjoy those... oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you want any suggestions, I'll be happy to help you out :D

      Delete
  4. Fangirl is one of my favorites! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oohh I want to read these! Will have to remember to come back and check them out.

    MB: keturahskorner.blogspot.com
    PB: thegirlwhodoesntexist.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I fed your TBR! Let me know what you think of them!

      Delete

Post a Comment