The WIP Special // Part One: Introduction

 *half-hearted trumpet sound*

*in fact, it sounds like a party horn blown sadly*

BUT ITS NOVEMBER SO LET'S DO THIS THING!

 Is it a dumb idea to do NaNo in the same semester that I took 25 credits? Maybe. But I'm doing it anyway



 

Title, Genre, Expected Word Count (of the WIP)

Wow. 

"Do the WIP special" they said!

"It'll be easy!" they said. 

But look at this question. 

Look at it!

How dare they. 

[Ignore the fact that as one of the collaborators of this tag I actually had say over what questions were used. I'M TRYING TO BE DRAMATIC HERE]


*ahem*


This is the first time I've done NaNoWriMo where I didn't start with a fully formed plot. (An arguement may be made that the first couple NaNo projects weren't "fully plotted" but hey. They were plotted to the extent that I thought they needed to be plotted at the time.)

But I'm starting this November with an empty word doc and a vague plan. 

That vague plan, hereafter called The Vague Plan or TVP (I would call it the VP, but it isn't the Vice President of anything so...), is a contemporary. I think. It is right now anyhow. Since it is a contemporary (and since I tend to write a story on the light side and then add more details in the second draft), I expect the word count to be a little lower in this draft than the final version...

But I'm shooting for around 25 chapters (it hasn't be plotted so I don't actually know that? But around 25-30) and each chapter being roughly 3,000 words. So it would be roughly 75k. 


Provide a blurb

*see above question outlining my confusion*

 

Describe the MC(s) in one word (each)

*nervous sweats*

um

One MC is...mysterious

Because even I, the narrator, don't know her backstory!

And the other MC is unknown

Because he doesn't even have a name or ANYTHING!


 Is there an antagonist? If so, how would you describe them?

Interestingly enough, I have an answer for this one! Smooth sailing from here, perhaps? 

Currently, there isn't really a single defined antagonist. The story's antagonist can be seen as a mixture of the workings of an organization and the character's own issues.

 

 Describe your story in ten short phrases

Hey, remember what I said about smooth sailing? 

*is washed overboard*


Are you planning on publishing this WIP? If so, when and how? 

Maybe someday if I finish it and like how it turns out. Its a long hard road to publication and I have to be dedicated to the story for that to happen. But if I did and I was...I would want to publish traditionally (but don't hold me to that) and publication process would begin after I was happy with it and considered it complete.

 Something about the WIP that you love

Its really exciting to start a new project from scratch! In this case, completely from scratch. I love how it will (hopefully) inspire me to be creative again and give me an outlet from school. I want it to be something that makes me excited to write again.


A scene that you look forward to writing


The only scene I actually have planned for this was kind of a random plot bunny, but it's kind of the climax of the story so !SPOILERS!. Alas. 

But I am also excited to write the first line and to write the last line. 


What was the original plot bunny?

*See above*


How does it differ from the original plot idea? 

Currently? Not at all. The only difference is that I'm finally giving this story a chance to be written. 




An unasked for update:  

 

Highlights of my NaNo: 

Nov 1: Hit the 5k mark 

Nov 3: Hit the 10k mark 


 Other things happening

Still no title! 

Also the character's don't have names? I gave the guy a place-marker name of JASON since I was watching Jason Bourne and then it snow balled from there and I place-marked the girl as PIPER (because Heroes of Olympus). Will either of these names survive the draft?
Jason might...I'm kind of liking it. Piper will absolutely NOT survive. As soon as I can think of something better its going to be "CTRL + F" and then "change from Piper to Basically Any Other Name." 

The fact that they don't actually have names, no inside jokes or nicknames off their names can be made. So all mockery of my characters (by my characters) has to be made on their actual skills or personalities which is OOF.



*ahem*



So what about you guys? Anybody writing for NaNo? Anybody not writing for NaNo and just feeding off the positive and motivated energy crazy NaNo-ers are putting off? (Those who are feeding off our suffering and laughing evilly while they eat popcorn are also accepted here.)

But seriously, tell me all about it!

MK







 

Comments

  1. This is AWESOME!!!! I've always wanted to try doing NaNo with nothing but an empty doc, but seems like I always have a book that needs to be written come November...

    Look forward to following your journey, though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its terrifying :D
      Same, though. I think I would have if I hadn't been in a bit of a slump these past couple months...I certainly have books I need to rewrite or edit!

      Delete
  2. I love that you're completely winging this NaNo! I hope things keep flowing and that ideas just fly your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Its kind of terrifying for my little plotter soul, but hey...Comfort doesn't equal growth!

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of starting NaNo with only a vague idea of what's going on! I think it'll be a whole lot of fun for you to explore this world (which you've told us nothing about, but I still think it'll be fun, and I can't wait to hear more!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea too! Just up until now it's been an idea I mused on and not one I acted on. Not quite as much of a fan when I'm actually doing it!

      Delete
  4. WELCOME TO CRAZY. XD Having no idea sounds like a lot of fun, actually, so have a great time! Looking forward to learning about it as you do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Using Jason as a placeholder because you were watching Bourne is hilarious, and something I would do. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to find a different name for PIPER.
      Also, I'm glad I wasn't watching Winnie the Pooh or something...

      Delete

Post a Comment