Don't Date Rosa Santos // Book Review

 

*Don't remember the exact quote, but someone refereed to tacking (in sailing) as attacking and I love it, but also hate it* 

 

 

Don't Date Rosa Santos by Nina Moreno

Rosa Santos is cursed by the sea-at least, that's what they say. Dating her is bad news, especially if you're a boy with a boat.

But Rosa feels more caught than cursed. Caught between cultures and choices. Between her abuela, a beloved healer and pillar of their community, and her mother, an artist who crashes in and out of her life like a hurricane. Between Port Coral, the quirky South Florida town they call home, and Cuba, the island her abuela refuses to talk about.

As her college decision looms, Rosa collides - literally - with Alex Aquino, the mysterious boy with tattoos of the ocean whose family owns the marina. With her heart, her family, and her future on the line, can Rosa break a curse and find her place beyond the horizon?

 

Characters

The main character is Rosa. She's second generation Cuban American and really wants to go back to Cuba. Her grandma, who fought tooth and nail to come to America, isn't too fond of the idea. (There's also "the curse"!) I really liked reading about Rosa. She's extremely loyal and sweet and she's just trying to figure everything out. 

And of course we can't leave the character section without mentioning Alex, the sweet quiet polite boy from her school (WHO IS HOT TATTOOED BOY WHO BAKES AMAZING CAKES? I REPEAT. HE COMES WITH CAKE)

 

Then she grabbed my shoulders and said, “Scoop him up and throw some sprinkles on that. Drizzle the caramel. You get me? Doodle his name in that little journal of yours. Doodle it hard.”
“Is that a euphemism?” I asked, confused, but suddenly wanting ice cream.



 Other Things

I loved the setting!

The families were realistic and I loved them. 

I don't know much about Cuban culture, but it was really cool to read about it from someone who knows it! 

Especially the food. Everything from the alligator guarded peaches (I'm kidding...or am I?) to the Cuban food to that cake. Agh. It made my mouth water and made me want to hop in the car and start heading south. (Especially the cake...)

I liked all the sailing! I know very little about it, but just barely enough to be like OOH! I know that! A REGATTA? I WANT TO JOIN!

(+the cover is cute)

 

  “I would have my own stories from the island that, for so long, had been an heirloom I couldn't touch.” 

 

5/5 Stars


 
 
MK

Comments

  1. Wow.
    My "E" key is slowly dying...but not when I tried to write the world REFERRED. Why two es? Why a missing r? The world will never know

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hot tattooed boy who makes cake. I'm sold!
    XD

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment