Faro's Daughter // Book Review

 “If you had not done such a shabby thing to me I would not have had you kidnapped.”



 

Faro's Daughter by Georgette Heyer

Renowned gamester, and the first to own that he is untroubled by a romantic disposition, Max Ravenscar regards all eligible females with indifference. But when he learns that his young cousin Adrian is bent on marrying Deborah Grantham, beautiful mistress of her aunt's gaming house, he meets an opponent in whom all his experience of risk and gambles finds him unprepared.

 

Characters

Oh gosh. I loved the characters. Deb is sharp as a tack, resourceful, and committed to helping other people. She is a brilliant match for Ravenscar and he for her. Her aunt is a drama queen who would get along with Mrs. Bennett (though she's a tiny bit more useful) and as much of a piece of milk toast as Deb's brother is, he makes me laugh because of how other people interact with him.


That was fair enough! There could be no possible objection, for how could I kidnap you myself?” 

 

Other Things

The moment when Deb is sarcastically dramatic about someone's decision and they think she's serious.

And of course the opera scene.

And Ravenscar's interaction with her brother makes me laugh every time.

And the two side plots going on? I love.

Other than that, I wish the relationships had been a little more developed. But that's the style of this genre (for the most part I suppose).

 

"She's not like any other woman I have ever met," pursued his lordship. "I wonder you were not struck by it!"
"Well, I have met more women than you have yet have had time to," said Ravenscar apologetically. "That might account for it." 
 

4.5/5 Stars

 

 

 

This post is for Heidi's Valentine's Day Period Drama Blog Party! You can find more info and other posts at Along the Brandywine!


 

 

Comments

  1. I love Georgette Heyer's books, her characters and plot lines are always so entertaining! Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      And I agree! I loved Simon the Coldhearted and The Wicked Uncle!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! Let me know what you think of it if you read it!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment