Crown of Shadows // Books I Discovered On My Blogging Journey

"It's fine!"

I would suggest you start with KM Shea's other series, Hall of Blood and Mercy, which is set in the same universe and happens slightly before the events of this series! I'm just doing this trilogy because while I liked Hall of Blood and Mercy, I absolutely LOVED this series!


Crown of Moonlight by KM Shea

The fae of the Night Court are desperately searching for a new monarch to crown before the Court collapses.

I couldn’t care less.

I’ve done everything I can to bury my fae blood and embrace my human half. That changes when some fae nobles show up on my doorstep and announce that I’m the next Queen of the Night Court.

Becoming an unwilling fae queen? Check. Inheriting a terrible mess? Double check.

The Court is almost bankrupt, my citizens’ favorite hobby is backstabbing one another, and I don’t know who I can trust since someone keeps trying to assassinate me.

Speaking of assassins, I get introduced to the best in the business—a fae lord nicknamed the Wraith. His deadly profession means he fears no one. The only reason he doesn’t kill me on the spot is he’s also a member of the Night Court and the Court’s magic protects me. But that doesn’t prevent him from trading verbal barbs with me whenever we meet.

And if cat herding all these uncooperative fae and chatting with assassins wasn’t enough, I’m required to get married as part of some archaic Court law. This “queen” gig is the worst!

Supposedly I can choose anyone to marry, but with all the infighting I need someone who is neutral and won’t provoke more political power struggles.

So, why do I keep thinking of a certain assassin?

 

Characters

Every single character in the book seems to make me happy in some way of other. Lelia's sarcasm and snark and thought processes. Her strength and creativity in dealing with all this mess and her "I'm not putting up with this nonsense" attitude. How much she cares about animals and how she goes into things just trying to do the right thing and ends up with tons of people loyal to her because of it. 

And Rigel. Aah. Who doesn't love a broody assassin with a snarky inner monologue? Especially when he's constantly verbally clashing with Lelia and has a #SUNSHINE best friend to annoy him constantly? 

And Indigo, Skye, and Chase! 

And all of the animals!

And good old Landon and Rhonda! 

And even the people who annoy Lelia throughout this book are amusing because of their reactions.

And of course all of the old favorites (or some of the old favorites) who pop up from the Hall of Blood and Mercy trilogy!

Even Lord Linus starts to grow on you a bit after awhile.


 

"Go on. Shoo!" Lord Linus flapped his hands at Lord Argyos and his cronies.




Other Things

GUYS. Enemies to lovers is one thing but MARRIAGE OF CONVENIENCE COMBINED WITH THAT? AAH. (And one with a clean romance too?!)

The third book in this trilogy is a book that not only checked the "Enjoyed it lots" and "Was satisfied and happy when it ended because it was so good" boxes, but the elusive "so good I was randomly thought about it for WEEKS after I read it" 

Also, it gave me chills aah

And I laughed SO MUCH

Oh and even more elusive... normally I'm pretty quiet when I read. (Sometimes I take a break to hunt down someone who has read the book *cough* sisters *cough*, make direct eye contact and let out a high pitched scream. It's a very deliberate scream, but anyway). I was in the car when I was reading this book, got to a really awesome part and a tiny...squeak? (IDK) just kind of slipped out? I managed to hold myself back from doing a remarkable impression of a teakettle, to the thankfulness of everyone in the car. 


(Oh. And I tried the Earl Grey based drink because the book was that good that it invaded my thoughts while I was at Starbucks. The drink was good, though I enjoy my bean water too much to ever switch for good.)


"We've got an angel horse up front and demon horses in the drive through! That's it, the world is going to end. I know I should have applied at the kayak stand!"


5/5 STARS!

 

The next two books are:

Crown of Moonlight

The Queen's Crown

 

 

And let me just say...

I remembered Crown of Moonlight as the least of the three. I remembered the second one had some good bits and that the third one absolutely BLEW MY MIND (as mentioned above.) I recently re-read Crown of Moonlight and spent most of the book being absolutely CRAZY about and barely withholding my glee. (None of my roommates were here so they wouldn't have had to question my sanity, but my roommate's cat is a little jumpy and doesn't appreciate sudden high pitched sounds so I settled on chuckling (ok...more of cackling) throughout. 

And as I finished it...I was forced to wonder: If this was the least exciting book...then I'd better re-read book three is little chunks so I don't have a heart attack or something.

 

The Hall of Blood and Mercy series: 

Magic Forged

Magic Redeemed

Magic Unleashed  




HIGHLY suggest reading these! 

(Also, am a little concerned about the full power of book three hitting me again...But also using every bit of will power to NOT start it right now because I won't go to sleep and its already midnight...)

MK

Comments

  1. I NEED these! Especially because there's a character called Skye and Chase. XD
    Also anything fae related just naturally makes my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!!
      I think you'd like Skye and Chase and the general fae court drama :D
      (Of course I think you'll LOVE what she picks as her personal seal too!)

      Delete
  2. K.M.Shea is the BEST!
    Have you read her "King Arthur Series"? It was EPIC! so much so that i was scared to try a re-read it because of the feels...I got chills

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't yet! But I'll add it on to the list!

      Delete

Post a Comment