Shakespeare // Books I Discovered On My Blogging Journey

 For which of my bad parts didst thou first fall in love with me? - Much Ado About Nothing



Much Ado About Nothing by Shakespeare

In Much Ado About Nothing, Shakespeare includes two quite different stories of romantic love. Hero and Claudio fall in love almost at first sight, but an outsider, Don John, strikes out at their happiness. Beatrice and Benedick are kept apart by pride and mutual antagonism until others decide to play Cupid.

 

Characters

So I have THOUGHTS about Hero and Claudio (rip his heart out in the market place indeed!) but I won't go into them because spoilers!

But Beatrice and Benedick!  I enjoy Shakespearean plays but don't usually get this attached to the characters. These two? An entirely different story. I don't know if its the sass and banter or the enemies to lovers story line or how they are tricked into a relationship or how adorable they are when they get together or the fact that I watched the 1993 film one too many times but aah!

I mean they go from this:

“I can see he's not in your good books,' said the messenger.
'No, and if he were I would burn my library.” 

 to this:
I do love nothing in the world so well as you- is not that strange?

AND I THINK THAT'S JUST NEAT OK


 

Other Things

Its Shakespeare so its VERY quotable

If you don't want to read the actual play, I HIGHLY suggest watching the 1993 film!

And surprisingly relatable:

“Love me!... Why?”

5/5 stars 

 

 

Shakespeare Retellings I've Read: 

If I'm Being Honest by Emily Wibberley and Austin Siegemund-Broka

(A modern retelling of Taming of the Shrew) 5 stars

Always Never Yours by Emily Wibberley and Austin Siegemund-Broka
(A modern twist on Romeo and Juliet) 5 stars

 

Shakespeare Posts I've Written:

Mini Review of Shakespearean Plays (Antony and Cleopatra, Macbeth, Julius Caesar, King Henry V, and the Twelfth Night)

The Shakespeare Tag

Other posts related to Shakespeare

 

Comments

  1. You should check out Kate Stradling's books. Not only does she have two slightly Shakespeare inspired books (Tournament of ruses and Kingdom of Ruses) but she also has some AMAZING fairy tale retellings and... a Beowulf retelling!(the Lengendary Inge)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALSO she is coming out with another book soon " The Heir and the spare" and just look at that snippet
    "Only two people had to die for Princess Iona to become queen..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, have you read "Speak Easy, Speak Love"? It's a retelling of Much Ado About Nothing set at a speakeasy during the Roaring Twenties--and it's a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on my TBR! I haven't gotten a chance to pick it up yet but I'm so excited for it!

      Delete

Post a Comment