Six of Crows // Books I Discovered On My Blogging Journey

  

“This is what happens when stupid people start making big plans, ja?” 

 



Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price—and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can’t pull it off alone. . . .

A convict with a thirst for revenge

A sharpshooter who can’t walk away from a wager

A runaway with a privileged past

A spy known as the Wraith

A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums

A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes


Kaz’s crew is the only thing that might stand between the world and destruction—if they don’t kill each other first.

 

Characters

 They all act so old for their ages, but it makes sense in the "You're very mature for you age // Thanks! It was the trauma" way. 

 Kaz is my favorite (surprise surprise.) I hadn't read the blurb in awhile and when I added it to this post I was just like, "Ah yes. All he cares about is MONEY. Certainly not revenge. Or his friends." 

Inej runs a close second to Kaz. Kaz basically wins because of his evil mastermind slytherin brain, but also Kaz's interactions with Inej are a significant part of why I like his chapters! But Inej...Man oh man. She gives me chills. I'm not saying that none of the other characters have, but there is one scene with Inej that gives me chills EVERY TIME I read it (which is no small number). And I just spent the whole book rooting for her and everything she's overcoming, whether its an injury or her past or a difficult moment. And her friendship with Nina and with Jesper! And her grit and determination.

Jesper is just a jittery impulsive idiot who makes bad decisions, but he's an amazing sharp shooter and I think its really easy to forget just how deadly he is because he's such a goofball.

 

Kaz leaned back. "What's the easiest way to steal a man's wallet?"
"Knife to the throat?" asked Inej.
"Gun to the back?" said Jesper.
"Poison in his cup?" suggested Nina.
"You're all horrible," said Matthias.

 

Other Things

 

HEISTS 

The opening chapter. 

And Kaz's introduction to the story!

All the stupid conversations they have that kind of feel like the only chance they get to be kids *sobs* are also hilarious and 100% relatable. They're also very quotable. "My ghost won't associate with your ghosts." 

 Waffles

Morally grey characters (some darker than others but all grey)

Criminal master mind schemes 

The change between other character's chapters when they look at Kaz like "Ah. He's made of ice. Unshakable. Unflappable. Genius." And then you get Kaz's chapters and everything is on fire and his inner monologue is just him FREAKING OUT and I LOVE IT. 

Every time I hear Trouble by Valerie Broussard I think of Six of Crows 

THE BACKSTORIES. They're sprinkled in so nicely throughout the book and you just WANT TO KNOW THEM and honestly y'all...by the time I finally got to Kaz's backstory? WAS READY TO FIGHT SOMEONE TO GET THAT STORY.


 

*Note*
This book is pretty dark and some pretty messed up stuff happens to the characters before or during this book and the sequel (Crooked Kingdom). I'm not really sure how to explain it without spoiling parts of the book and how to keep my trigger warnings from being a trigger themselves...This book exploded in the blogging world, so I'm sure there are many good posts that cover this. Please seek them out! 


“No mourners. No funerals. Among them, it passed for good luck.” 

 

 

 

5/5 Stars

 

 

Makeup Book Tag // I Regret Nothing

Literary Dinner Party Tag: Round II

Other posts about or including Six of Crows

 

Comments

  1. One of my all time favorites! Kaz and Inej are both so fantastic. Can't wait to see them on screen soon. The Trouble song, yess!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment