5 Books That Made Me Hungry + Cake!

Top Five Books That Made Me Hungry: 



5. Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo

Because they understand. Waffles > Pancakes. Also Nina's cookie stash. They all just love food so much.





4. Winter (The Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyer

You know those apple candies? Every single time I read about them, my mouth starts to water. Every. Single. Time




3. Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

You have no idea how much I want a November Cake right now. And a Sean Kendrick, please. Anybody know where I can get one of those?





2.The Gallagher Girl Series by Ally Carter

You've got mint chocolate chip flavored paper for a start (in case you need to eat it). But also, Waffle Love. Apple jokes. Gelato. A french cook who is known for his creme brulee. (yum) You've also got coke, corn dogs, cotton candy and junior mints mentions through the series. And! Every single book has M&Ms in it. It's like a nice little Easter egg to look for.





1. Any Redwall book by Brian Jacques

There is so much food in these books. So. Much. Food. (Especially in any book involving the hares.)










Literal CAKE 

This cake is delicious and actually inspired one of the cakes in Capes, Coffee Shops & Cake, my NaNoWriMo Project. In the book, Lily's mom makes a Greek coffee cake (secret family recipe and all that) that Kace is madly in love with. And for all her baking skills and hours spent in the kitchen, she cannot manage to recreate it.



Vasilopita
(Raspberry-Yogurt Variation)

3/4 cup blanched, slivered almonds
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon honey
3 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon anise seed
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
6 eggs
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup yogurt
1 cup raspberries

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch round cake pan and a 4-inch round cake pan.
     
  •   Combine almonds, brown sugar and honey in a small bowl and set aside. (Make sure you do not mix up the sugar amount with the honey amount. It doesn't end well)
     
  • Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and anise seed in a medium mixing bowl.
     
  • Cream butter and granulated sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Stir in lemon juice and vanilla
     
  • Add flour mixture to the butter mixture, alternating with yogurt and mix well.
     
  • Divide one third of almond mixture between the two pans, scattering it in an even coating along the bottom. (Obviously: more in the big one, less in the small one, you crazy)
     Sprinkle a handful of raspberries in there too, but make sure you save some.
     
  • Fill the smaller pan two thirds full and then pour half of the remaining mixture in the larger pan. (That would be the 9-inch one)
     
  • Bake both pans (and the batter therein) for 20 minutes. Then you take them out...and you remember that remaining batter, the remaining almonds and the raspberries? Sprinkle the almonds and raspberries on top of the half baked cake and pour the remaining batter on.
  • Bake for another 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. (That's right. Stab your beautiful cake a few times)
     
  • Let cool, remove from pans, stick little cake (upside down) on top of big cake (Also upside down. That way the yummy toppings you put on before you poured the first batter on on top) .............and then eat it. (If you have any remaining almond mixture, sprinkle it on top)


-MK





Comments

  1. My mouth is watering. Those November cakes. I want them. Please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! They included a recipe in the back but *weak laugh* apparently, I am lazy. It has been eight days since I read Scorpio Races and I have yet to try it...

      Delete
  2. *Gasp* A Redwall reference AND a recipe?! This is a post written all for me!!! I am definitely going to have to make this cake. I have an obsession for coffee cake and Greek food, so this is 100% me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *gasps back*
      Someone who has heard of Brian Jacques?!?

      Delete
    2. Yes, and one who has actually hosted a Redwall feast!!! Which was amazing, except there was a severe lack of meat. But they're friendly woodland creatures, so we can't expect them to eat each other.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read any of these. I'm about to get to Winter, though. I've read Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress. I'm doing Levana's story now and then off to Winter. Then I will know what the apple candies are. :D

    That cake recipe sounds awesome. Would I be able to not use almonds or is crucial to the recipe? (I'mm allergic to almonds.)

    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have said it before, but I'm saying to again. WINTER WAS MY FAVORITE IN THE SERIES!!!!

      And yes. You can leave the almonds off. I don't know whether you should exchange them for something or just have nothing...

      Delete
    2. I have asked The Cake Book and The Cake Book says that you can also make a Hazelnut-Chocolate Chip version where you use hazelnuts in the place of almonds and a 1/2 cup of chocolate chips in the place of the raspberries.

      Or you could make the Seed Wedding Cake version (because apparently at Greek weddings, everyone is required to eat seeds...) where you replace the nuts with a 3/4 cup of sunflower or poppy seeds.

      I have yet to try either of these versions, so if you make one PLEASE let me know how it turned out!

      Delete
    3. (it is not actually called THE CAKE BOOK. I was just being dramatic)

      Delete
    4. Lol, thanks. I might try the Hazelnut-Chocolate because I don't think I have an allergy to Hazelnuts. *shrugs* I find weird food allergies in myself at odd times. Usually once I've taken a bite of something. Last time I had almonds, my throat started to feel like it was closing, so I decided no more eating them.

      I'm not big on seeds, but if I do, I'll let you know how it turns out. :D

      Delete
    5. Yes, throats closing up would be bad...

      Delete
  4. I totally forgot November Cakes! I did remember Nina's waffles though.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/10/17/top-ten-tuesday-129/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just lent Six of Crows + Crooked Kingdom to a friend...
      (I think she's still a little mad @ my about all the emotional trauma she got from it...)

      Do you like waffles or pancakes better?

      Delete
    2. Just a little mad......Not that I spent 20 minutes crying or anything......

      (I'm hungry now!!!! I need cake!)

      -Lilah
      lilahsmusicals.blogspot.com
      catholicgirlstuff.blogspot.com

      Delete
    3. And then Lia never EVER takes a book from me again...

      Meanwhile...
      *Lia reading Wolf by Wolf. "What?"*

      Never mind

      Delete
    4. You're one of my only sources for book recommendations! Of course, i'm going to continue borrowing books from you. After all, I was the one who told you to read Heartless

      -Lia

      Delete
    5. Yes...yes you were *narrows eyes*

      Delete
  5. I love that you included The Gallagher Girl Series! Now I'm nostalgic and a bit hungry (for paper? or food? YOU JUST NEVER KNOW)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even realize how much food was in it until I started thinking about it. So. Much. Food.

      What was your favorite book in the series? I think mine was Cross My Heart and Hope To Spy

      Delete
  6. Why do I always read these when I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the Redwall books when I was a kid. Probably because there’s so much food in them.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. I think I liked them because there were warriors and sword fights and...

      Yes I was a strange child. Why do you ask?

      Delete
  8. *laughs evilly*

    My work here is done

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm stealing that cake recipe one of these days....

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment