Twelve Golden Windows: An Update

"Its time to update my readers on my WIP." I said to myself over a cup of coffee.

But then I realized I didn't actually tell you what my story was about. Or basically anything.

So here we go:


A partial blurb:



Karin didn’t come into town with the intention of trying to win Princess Farida’s hand in marriage. Who would be dumb enough to wager their life that they could complete the challenge, regardless of how beautiful she was? Not when ninety-nine heads already hung from the palace walls.



In fact, all he wanted was to stay in a nice bed, sample the city’s legendary wine, steal as much as he could carry and leave. But then he gets caught in a lie and finds himself in the royal palace with his only options being to tell the truth and be killed, try the challenge and possibly be killed…or escape. 


Twelve Golden Windows is a retelling of the Grimm Brother’s lesser known story, The Starfish. 


SOME RANDOM FACTS:


  • It is based off of a lesser known Grimm's Fairy Tale, the Starfish. Which you probably can't find online.
     
  • It is a stand alone novel
     
  • Set in a fantasy world based off Ancient Persia
     
  • Of course I made a pinterest board
     
  • My favorite character to write is Karin
     
  • Actually its the animals he runs into, but still. They're in his chapters
     
  • It is dual narrated between Karin and Farida, the princess
     
  • Even though her title is Princess, she is basically the Queen.  But she hasn't come of age yet...
     
  • The princess and her three maids make up the four Hogwarts houses...And they are amazing.
     
  • Kali (which is an African name meaning Energetic) is the Gryffindor. She is always ready to try new things, especially crazy things. In fact, the crazier the better)
     
  • Dalia (an Arabic name meaning Flower) is the Hufflepuff. She's the voice of reason, stops fights (and Kali from doing stupid things) but she is also extremely loyal and will do anything for her friends.

    She is also the person who brings tea and hangs up lavender satchels in the wardrobes
     
  • Nawa is the Slytherin (her name in Egyptian meaning Storm) and she is the eyes and ears of the operation. She knows all, sees all. And she suggests that they kill people and dump their body in the dessert if they're being problematic.
     
  • If we're going through all the names, Farida is Arabic and means "unique, peerless, feminine."
     
  • And Karin (which is also a traditional Arabic name) means *pauses to laugh*

    "Comrade, companion, spouse, accomplice, soul mate"
     
  • I changed the story ever so slightly to match its new setting
     
  • I plan on having the first draft done by the end of February/beginning of March
     
  • My current word count is 3.021. (Which even considering that I only started last week, is pretty sad.)
     
  • I'm on Chapter 3. (According to my plot, I should have 25-ish chapters, but we'll see)
     







Snippet!!!



“What brings you to our city then?” The Captain asked with a mocking smile. “The princess’s challenge?”

And Karin, who never was very good at telling the truth or listening to people underestimate him and who also had never heard of the princess’s challenge before, said, “Yes. Why? What makes you think I’m not?” 






So what do you think? Have you ever heard of The Starfish? Can YOU find a copy of it somewhere?
-Mary Kate

Comments

  1. Never heard of The Starfish, but THIS NOVEL SOUNDS EPIC AND I NEED IT IN MY LIFE!!!!!

    ~Ivie
    Ivie Writes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU! And for some reason it makes me really happy/smug that none of you have ever heard of the Starfish...

      Delete
  2. I've never even heard of The Starfish either... but this book does sound SO epic and awesome. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks! (I also feel really guilty now for not working on it more...whoops)

      Delete
  3. This sounds great! I really enjoyed the snippet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I was thinking about how is fairy tales there is a princess who has a challenge for her hand and you die if you fail and so many people have already died...but some guys just like "Yeah, she's cute. I'll risk it."

      So Karin is a thief and a habitual liar...and he just can't keep his mouth shut.

      Delete
  4. this sounds so cool! I love it! The snippet is terrific. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Its one of my favorite parts of the story so far

      Delete
  5. This sounds amazing! Is the Starfish sort of like the fairytale with the glass hill? I can't remember the name but that's what came to mind reading your description.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. No glass hill. And I think its called The Princess of the Glass Hill, though there are a few other stories that have a castle on a glass hill...

      Delete
  6. Heheee, finally, I have somewhat of a clue as to all the snippets and stuff you've been sending out lately...

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was this one of the clips I gave you? Don't the name meanings just crack you up? Karin's is my favorite.

      Delete
  7. I own a giant book of Brother's Grimm tales (probably includes all of them, idk), but I have yet to come across The Starfish. :P

    Mary Kate, your book sounds AMAZING!! I think I might kind of love Karin already, so... Write it, please. *puppy dog eyes*

    Lila
    The Red-Hooded Writer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I REALLY feel guilty for not writing more :P

      Delete
  8. This sounds really good!

    Karin seems awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! He is so fun to write, since he lies about EVERYTHING and just randomly steals things...candy, ink pens, small vases, you name it. And I don't write him actually stealing the things, he just HAS them later.

      Delete
  9. I've never heard of "The Starfish," but this sounds really good! =)

    Micaiah @ Notebooks and Novels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! (And the link to your blog isn't connecting for some reasons...)

      Delete
  10. I checked the tHIRD PAGE of Google results (desperate, as you can tell) and only found one reference to The Starfish - someone wanted to know why it wasn't more popular/they couldn't find it online. (Now I'm asking the same thing...)

    And I LOVE the sound of Karin. A thief who accidentally gets himself involved in a competition for the princess, for which the consequence of losing is death? and he would never have chosen to get involved because he's not sTUPID?? Yes please! xD

    Also Nawa "suggests that they kill people and dump their body in the dessert if they're being problematic"?? I like her... xD xD
    - Jem Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could honestly say I'm sorry that you couldn't find it, but I'm evil, so...I think I'll just sit here and laugh.

      Karin was invented by me asking WHO WOULD BE DUMB ENOUGH TO DO THIS? and how could someone accidentally get roped into it...and dinglehopper here was born.

      Delete

Post a Comment