Topics. You know the one. You mention Star Wars and you've suddenly got
a Reylo or No? argument going on in your comment section. Was Snape
good...or bad? (You know... the Bad. Creepy. Old. Obsessed. Man. Who. Was. Cruel. To. Children.)
There are all these topics all over the internet and instead of just going Hey. I never thought of it that way or whatever cute thing we normally would comment we get WAR. Granted, it tends to be a very polite war, because we are classy people. But still. Cue super long comments.
- When you accidentally spoil something from a book.
- Search Engines. Guys, I promise I am neither pregnant or planning to murder anyone. Promise! (Though to be entirely truthful, the second one is more likely.)
- *People complaining about how hard it is to add obstacles and hardships to their books* Me: "I got bored, so I had a sandstorm show up and her castle get attacked by her cousin for no good reason, but totally works for the plot."
- When people start talking about how they can't manage to finish a WIP and you're sitting there with your eye twitching, trying to hold back the "JUST COMMIT TO ONE AND STAY WITH IT COMMENT."
Though honestly. Ask yourself, do you want this? Do you want to finish this story, become a published author, or whatever you're working toward?
SO STOP PROCRASTINATING AND WRITE. OK? GOT WRITER'S BLOCK AND IT WON'T GO AWAY FOR DAYS? SIT DOWN AND WRITE! DON'T FEEL MOTIVATED? AH HA...I THOUGHT YOU WANTED THIS? WORK FOR IT! WRITE! JUST WRITE.
- Also that thing where peeps go, "Yeah, I just can't get my characters to behave! Like, they won't stay in character! So frustrating."
YOU. LITERALLY. ARE. WRITING. THEM.
Yeah, I understand. Sometimes you can take a funny turn and end up writing about how your character hates rats for two paragraphs. Sometimes you randomly invent a horde of tiny maids. It happens.
BUT IF IT SHOULDN'T BE THERE, DON'T WHINE, DON'T BLAME A FICTIONAL CHARACTER... FIX. IT.
Cause as soon as people read it, they're not going to go "Oh! Bad Brian! Why won't he stay in character?"
They're going to say,
"Well here's a author who doesn't care about her work."
Or maybe they'll just stop reading.
My point is...writing is an art, a craft. WORK ON IT. FIX IT.
- The super excited authors and the "I'm writing a new story! My project! Meet my babies!" posts. They are the best thing ever.
- And rant posts. Rant posts are the best. Especially ranty book reviews. And not
just the "the plot was bad" notes. The "this book made my eyeballs
bleed, my tears jumped angrily from my face to land on the ink in an
attempt to blot it out forever." notes. You know...the funny ones.
Please do more of these. Please.
- Donuts (Shush. I'm hungry)
- Me, being super negative and bringing up donuts as if that'll fix everything.
- People read my story and it made them laugh. OH MY! I MADE PEOPLE DO THE EMOTIONS!