Book Reveiw: A Crown of Wishes // *screaming*


FANTASY! WARRIOR GIRL AND FOX PRINCE. (No, not a literal fox prince...that would be cool though.) AND FOOD! AND MYTHICAL CREATURE AND PLACES! AN EPIC QUEST! TWO PEOPLE WHO HATE EACH OTHER AND WHO I'M MADLY SHIPPING!




*Ahem*

I mean A Crown of Wishes by Roshini Chokshi

What is A Crown of Wishes?
(One of my new favorite books ever?)

"A story had no owner ship. A story could break its bones, grow wings, soar out of reach and dive out of sight in the time it took just to draw breath. It meant we weren’t walking a cut path. We carved it into existence with
every step."


ITS A STORY WITH A SUB-THEME OF WRITING THE STORY OF YOUR LIFE!


...



Ok, I'll stop screaming now.


Fantasy: 
The story felt like a fairy tale. There were mythical creatures, deities, magical lands and cities, quests, fables told within the story...

This book is the perfect example of fantasy. Of what makes me love fantasy.

Warrior Girl and Fox Prince:

Well first we have Gauri.The Warrior girl who uses makeup and clothing as armor and a weapon. In fact, everything to her is based off war. OR IS IT?
 A complex, yet strong female character? Yes please.

And then we have Vikram, the Fox Prince. (Who honestly reminds me a lot of Nikoli from Shadow and Bone...) The prince who uses his mind instead of a sword.

And honestly, it makes their duo much more fun.  
 They bicker so. much. and I love it. 

“Vikram’s eyes widened. “What’s this? Praise from Her Beastliness in the morning? Are you under a curse that makes you friendly before noon? If so, how do we make it permanent?”

And food:

Crown of Wishes is based of myths and legends of India! THEY HAD FOOD! There actually was quite a bit of food, but what really stood out to me was the Gulab jamun... Confession time, I didn't realize it was based of Indian culture until the gulab jamun was mentioned. I kind of grasped the general region...but I guess it takes dessert to let me know where I am.

And mythical creatures and places:

Roshini gives us mythical creatures and stories. She doesn't slap down a giant chunk of lore at once, she just slowly SHOWS us what these creatures are. And if you know the creatures, maybe it'll click and you'll realize some small hidden detail and marvel at the way she portrayed their personalities or something. But if you're like me, then I guess you'll just have to fall in love with the world like that.

Speaking of world, THE LOCATIONS. Whoa. I could see everything. I can imagine myself there perfectly.

And epic quest:

The most epic of all epic quests! You have two people thrown together on a quest to win a wish, each of them very very desperate for it.


Two people who hate each other and I'm madly shipping:

I'll just let the words speak for themselves...but don't we all love a good Hate-Love Ship?


“Vicious and sweet,” said Vikram, shaking his head. “Beastly girl.”
“You like me, don’t lie,” I teased.
“I couldn’t lie if I tried,” he said quietly.” 


...

 “It felt silly to say that he couldn’t bear to lose her. He never had her. She was not a thing to be possessed. But her entrance in his life had conjured light. And losing the light of her would plunge him into a darkness he’d never find his way out of.” 


*wipes away a tear*





So what about you? Have you read A Crown of Wishes yet?

-Mary Kate

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. YES!

      I'm pretty sure it would be 100% Rebellious Writing approved. (At the very least 95%)

      Delete
    2. AWESOME! I must find it now because I just quit a book that was just so bad. I couldn't continue. I need a good read to help me out of this blech feeling that other book gave me.

      Some content I'm willing to look over, but other content, not so much.

      Delete
    3. Its also really well written :)

      Delete
    4. *fangirls* I HAVE TO FIND THIS BOOK, THEN!

      Delete
  2. This book sounds so good! I'll definitely see if I can get my hands on it XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. YAS! YOU NEED TO READ IT SO WE CAN FANGIRL!

      Delete
  4. GOOD GOSH....this book sounds absolutely awesome!

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. It really is. Her writing style is just beautiful.

      Delete
  6. That cover. Beautiful. Just....*throws pens everywhere* BEAUTIFUL!!!!

    (Any content I should be aware of before I consider reading? Magic, lust, etc.?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is magic, but not in the "people use magic" way. The "there are magical creatures and beings.

      No lust or such. There is mentions of some guard trying to take advantage of a maid and Gauri stepping in to stop him.

      It is possible I've missed something, but I think that's it. The romance between Gauri and Vikram isn't extremely...physical. They kiss, but that's about it.

      Delete

Post a Comment