Dual Book Review: Badass Girls and Over Protective Boys

It's time for a really short, really random review of two books! (This is why I shouldn't be writing my posts late the night before...)



That last two books I read had this in common:
  • Girl who is really good at doing stuff
  • Guy who wouldn't survive without girl (and is saved at least twice) and yet is overly protective of her around other guys. Girls they BARELY EVEN KNEW? AND THEY WERE JUST LIKE 
    "They way he was looking at her made me want to hit something."
    "Don't look at her. Don't you even look at her."
    Why.
    Luckily, in both cases the girl didn't stand for it and was like, "Erm...no. Stop it, weirdo." 
These books were:
and
Not If I Save You First was my favorite of the two. I am a big fan of Ally Carter's Gallagher Girl series (and not such a big fan of her Embassy Row series.) While I didn't like this one quite as much as the Gallagher Girls, I did enjoy reading this book. And it managed to avoid most of the key teenage girl spy book problems!


#1: Maggie is not a spy. She is the daughter of an ex-secret service agent and has lived in Alaska for the last six years...so she can take care of herself.
Since Maggie is not a spy, there is a little less of the "why is a seventeen year old a spy" question floating around and bothering you while you read. Actually, her not being a spy solves A LOT of the Teenage Spy problems..

#2: And Maggie mainly fights by being very, very clever. So not so much "I am 5'8. I will take out seven enemy operatives with a pencil and I learned all this from watching youtube videos."
Everything she knows makes sense.






#Prettyboy Must Die is my second favorite of not  because the writing was bad (it wasn't) or the characters were boring (they weren't) it was because the main character was annoying. WHY JAKE? WHY?

With some teenage-spy books, they don't make sense. They don't sound like spies. Jake AKA Peter does sound like a spy. His communications with his boss etc all make sense and sound accurate. (Not that I'm a spy, but...) He sounds like a spy, just...a bad one. For example, Jake is really, REALLY good at ruining his cover AND the cover of people around him.

WHY JAKE? WHY? I THOUGHT YOU WERE A SPY! IF THIS IS HOW YOU HOLD UP WHEN ASKED A SIMPLE QUESTION, IT IS NO WONDER YOU'RE OUT OF A JOB.

Also, he's really bad at following orders. The whole "I know what I'm doing. They don't." And he keeps mucking things up.

Why Jake? WHY?



Comments

  1. Both of these sound really good!

    Jake sounds a bit annoying though. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent the whole book like "Wait. No. YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE A SPY! STOP THAT!" ...but on the other hand I DID finish it.

      Delete
  2. Those books do sound good! Ahahaha, when you're always yelling at the characters #readerproblems

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jake though...HE JUST KEPT BLOWING COVERS. HIS AND EVERYONE ELSE'S. HALF THE SCHOOL KNEW.

      Delete
  3. I'm such a super spy!!! *blows cover*
    Hmm....maybe not such a great spy.
    Stick to the plans, mate. It really messes other people up, so now they can't do their part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only did he blow his own cover BY NOT ANSWERING A VERY VERY SIMPLE QUESTION, but he blew multiple other people's overs as well. JUST DON'T TELL JAKE ANYTHING. BAD JAKE.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Not If I Save You First was a lot of fun...I loved reading about Maggie

      Delete
  5. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LIKE protective males, thank you very much! It's part of their masculinity to protect a female, even if it's one that they don't know well. It's part of their code of chivalry to protect other females from nasty lustful looks and the like. Now, it can be carried too far and turn into jealousy, I'll admit, but still....

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't so much "nasty lustful looks" as it was "They are (meaning She is with him standing there) talking to prisoner and prisoner is talking too and looking at her.

      And it doesn't apply to all the girl in the book. Just the one he likes.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment