Write What You Know: International Travel II


Note: While the last of post was mostly focused on international air travel, this post is about basic stuff once you get there! And since I haven't been everywhere (yet) this focuses on Europe.



  • Everything smells like cigarette smoke
                   
  • I can't vouch for ALL of Europe, but it seems the bigger the city the more it smells like smoke
                  
  • (It's kind of funny since the majority of people in the US don't smoke, so now whenever I smell the combo of cold air and cigarette smoke I immediately think "Ah Munich")
                
  • Speaking of Munich, in Germany when you go to pay someone at a bakery or shop, you set the money on the counter or in some places, a little tray on the counter. You don't just hand it to them.
                
  • And sometimes they just take the money and sometimes they stare at you, then look at the dish, and then back up at you...
      
  • Since they still make butter-based pastries and baked goods...EVERYTHING TASTES AMAZING AND THERE IS NO GOING BACK
     
  • Fru-fru coffee what?
     
  • To be fair on the coffee note:
    1.) I prefer lattes so I didn't really look at see what else they had?
    2.) And I'm sure somewhere serves american-ized coffee?
    3.) But also, Starbucks isn't even allowed to open shops in some cities/countries, so?
    4.) The coffee is amazing so why would you add a bunch of random stuff???
    5.) Also, I basically had coffee from small shops and/or train stations when I was in the major cities and only actually went in and sat in a coffee shop once I was in a smaller city and had the time so IDK
    6.) But the coffee beans? SMELLED AMAZING
      




Any little traits you picked up about Europe when you were traveling? (Of if you live there, WAS I RIGHT?) And I REALLY hope SOMEBODY is writing a cute YA romance novel in Europe so this is helpful...


MK


Comments

  1. I've only ever been to Poland and the Czech Republic, and neither of them smelled like smoke...but I'm sure Germany is different.
    One of the things about those two places is that every.single.town. has a town square with a big Marian pillar of some sort. After a couple of towns, they all start to look the same, and it's hard to remember which was which. Also, most areas had some sort of reginal pastry--in the Czech Republic, it was trdelnik, which are basically roasted tubes of bread coated in chocolate and/or cinnamon sugar, with ice cream in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah the Marian pillars...and the Platz or town center (at least in Germany and Austria) like the Stephanplatz in Vienna or the Marienplatz in Munich!

      THE TRDELNIK SOUNDS AMAZING!!!

      Delete
  2. I've haven't been over there. My cousin has. Sounds interesting. :)

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The smoke thing is so accurate. It's a bit annoying.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment