Cinderella and Rumpelstiltskin // Books I Discovered On My Blogging Journey

“Friedrich raised his hands, as if soothing a wild horse. “Cinderella, you need to calm down.”

 “I HAVE NEVER BEEN MORE CALM IN MY LIFE!” she roared.

 

Cinderella by K.M Shea

Timeless Fairy Tales Book 3

Scratching out a living in a land recovering from war and a hostile takeover, Cinderella—an orphaned, destitute duchess—is desperate to save her lands and servants in spite of the terrible taxes placed upon her by the Erlauf queen, even if it means she must don servants’ clothes and work like a commoner.

Her sacrifices aren’t enough, and when a mountain of debt is levied against her, she is given one season to produce the funds. Cinderella realizes it is only a matter of time before she loses everything she has struggled to protect, and it seems that all is lost until she is befriended by the debonair Colonel Friedrich—a member of the Erlauf military and a citizen of the oppressing country that rules her homeland.

From helping her break into the royal library to saving her from a rogue mage, Friedrich draws her closer and challenges her mindset of the queen and the war.

Cinderella knows Friedrich is not all he appears to be, but can she trust him with her country and her heart?

Characters

This book and Rumpelstiltskin have my all time favorite couples from the Timeless Fairy Tale series (and there are some pretty good ones in here!) 

I love Cinderella with her grit and determination to keep her servants and estate together. And despite the sacrifices she makes, like selling off her fancy clothes and pitching in with the farm work, she remains a lady and its really nice to see a brave, determined, (little bit sassy) female character who can still remain soft and kind. In fact, a major theme of the book is kindness! (Don't worry, it's still pretty exciting. There's an assassination attempt, a thief at work in town, and all manner of interesting things going on.)

And Friedrich. I feel like everything I want to say about Friedrich will result in incomprehensible ramblings or will result in spoilers as I point out my favorite scenes. (He does make a good basket though.)

 

“I know everyone whispers he is a rogue, but, Cinderella, surely you must realize he follows you with the loyalty of a dog?”


Other Things

It's HILARIOUS.

 I have it on Kindle and the whole thing is practically all highlighted because its SO GOOD. It feels like every other scene is hilarious, thought provoking, or adorable. 

Apparently it can be read as a stand alone? (Effectively most of the series can until the end, since each book is about its own people and issues, but tied to a larger problem. But there are lots of cameos from other characters so I would suggest reading them in order!)

Hate cannot drive out hate.

5/5 Stars

 

 

 

 

 

 Your firstborn child will be mine

 Rumpelstiltskin by KM Shea

Timeless Fairy Tales Book 4

When 17-year-old Gemma, a seamstress, is ordered by the insane King Torgen to spin straw into gold or be put to death, she knows her life is forfeit. Unwilling to give up, Gemma tries to escape her prison, earning her the respect of the mysterious mage, Stil. Stil offers to complete the impossible task…for a price.

Greedy and unsatisfied, King Torgen demands more and more straw to be spun into gold, and decrees that he will “reward” Gemma by marrying her. With death or marriage to a crazed king clouding her future, Stil offers Gemma a bargain that seems too good to be true.

Will Gemma’s trust in Stil be her downfall, or will he defy the entire country to save her?

 

Characters

 The main characters are amazing and adorable. Gemma is a extremely sensible and kind hearted person and its so interesting to see how she meshes with Stil since he is also kind hearted, but doesn't really know what to do with Gemma at first. Also, there is so SO much more but I'm this close to spoiling everything so I'll just move along now...

I also love Grandma Guri, because she is hilarious but also sprouts some wisdom. She gives me serious "grandmother from Moana" vibes. I could easily see her saying, "I'm the village crazy lady" and she would be 100% correct!

But, Grandmother, I am telling you it will take a man of magic to love me."
"Don't make such oaths, my girl," Grandmother Guri chortled. "Life has a funny way of twisting things.

And Lady Linnea. I LOVE HER AND GEMMA'S FRIENDSHIP SO MUCH. Lady Linnea is a noble lady but really just wants to learn how to sword fight and read books on tactics and I love the way she and Gemma mesh. Because Gemma is sitting there calmly thinking everything through and she's just like, "I brought an axe, but I guess I didn't really think the next step through?" But at the same time she's not entirely wrong in her planning when she stops and thinks. And she's just so fiercely loyal!

 Also, all of the guards Gemma befriended? Aah

 

Lady Linnea shook her head. "You bring out the good in people, and those who scorn you, you freeze with your eyes and words. So, it's a good thing I am your friend and companion."
"Oh?"
"Yes. I am a sword, dangerous and deadly. And Gemma, I will not hesitate to kill the king to save you," Lady Linnea said, her voice hard.


Other Things

As mentioned with Cinderella, there are a lo of interesting things going on! Crazy kings, hellhounds tracking people down, and an assortment of amusing things!

THE FRIENDSHIPS. I know I already said so above, but so much of the book is based around friendships! 

A friendship is filled only with as much love as you give.


5/5 Stars

 

Love is like a pair of horses. They need to have the same gaits and the same direction. Our Ostfold boys are handsome, but I don't think none of 'em are heading in the same direction as you. 

 

Find the link to my mini review of the whole series: HERE

Comments

  1. These sound fantastic! I love when you have a book on kindle and can highlight all your favorite lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And sometimes EXCESSIVELY highlight, LOL
      I also love that you can then go through the notes and just re-read your favorite parts :D

      Delete

Post a Comment