Palace Gossip: Ft. Nawa, Kali & Deliah


For those of you who don't remember, Kali, Nawa, and Deliah are the three ladies in waiting to the Queen Farida in my WIP Twelve Golden Windows.  (Here is an older post introducing them.)

As far as their duties go, Kali and Deliah tend to take care of more of the actual lady-in-waiting things. Kali is more of the fashion advice, this necklace goes best with that looks, and YOU NEED MORE DRESSES LETS GO and Deliah is more of the here is a cup of tea, sage advice, and keeping everyone from annoying the Queen. Nawa is more of a personal bodyguard, collector of castle gossip/spy.  But she also helps manage the Queen's daily schedules and teaches the other two how to fight. She does less of the other things mainly because she is newer to the little group. Kali and Deliah have been serving the Queen for years and they've already fallen into a pattern.

(I just realized that I sometimes drop the 'h' at the end of Deliah...Hmm. Now I need to go back and find all my old research into the name and figure out which one was the traditional Arabic one...


. . .


Kali: *climbs up on a chair to look at something*
Deliah: *is sitting calmly in her chair with her hands in her lap*
Nawa: *eyeing the decorative bamboo poles that are sticking out of a large pot in the corner of the room*
Me: *regretting replacing the potted tree I killed with bamboo because I was lazy* So! Welcome to Character Interviews with The Author! (That would be me!) *pulls out a note book and clicks the pen*
Kali: Why do you have a note book?
Me: *scoffs* writers always have notebooks and we're justing looking for an excuse to use them.
Kali: Why do you need it?
Deliah: Maybe she is going to forget what we said before we finish talking?
Kali: Please AS IF! Nawa doesn't forget things I say for MONTHS after I say them. SHE KEEPS BRINGING UP THE DUMB THINGS I DO
Nawa: *smirks*
Me: *clears throat* I just want everything to be very percise. *quickly flips to a clean page so they can't see the doodles from the last interview.*
(My favorite is of Terrianna smiling demurely while "Prince Stinky" chokes on the floor next to his tea cup and a puddle labeled "poison.")
Me: So! Fill me in on what is happening at the castle! The behind the scene things that readers won't see in the books!
Kali: Well, one of the mares had a foal and the suitor almost cried. He just leaned there, choking up saying, 'It's so CUTE."
Me: The suitor?
Deliah: We try not to call the suitors by their names. It makes it easier to you know...not get attatched.
...
Me: Anything else?
Kali: NAWA HAS A BEU *ducks to get away from Nawa*
Nawa: *raises an eyebrow*
Kali: You're ...not going to, you know...hit me?
Nawa: *smiles slightly* No. Of course not. In fact, go ahead and tell her everything you know
Kali: Everything?
Nawa: EVERYTHING
Me: Yes. TELL ME EVERYTHING
Kali: Well, he's a bakers apprentice. Or maybe a baker. Or potentially a guard in the palace. Or I suppose the city. Actually, no. I have no idea what he does. I just know he's not a nobel because Nawa hates them and all the nobles are scared of her.
Me: Do you know what he looks like?
Kali: *perks up* Yes! We, Deliah and I, saw him!
Me: Ooh. DO TELL!
Kali: *mumbles* it was dark
Me: *raises an eyebrow and glances at Nawa*
Nawa: *sips tea and smirks*
Deliah: He was taller and a little stronger than Nawa is. But that's about all we know
Nawa: See? You saw nothing of conseuence. In fact! What makes you think he's my beau?
Kali: You were all happy and smile-y after that night
Nawa: Yes. But that was the same day that I finished training my mare to rear up and slash at people with her hooves
Kali: So he was just some random guy
Nawa: Perhaphs
Deliah: And you did it all to trick us
Nawa: Perhaps
Kali: And he just pumped his fist in the air when you parted ways?
Nawa: ...what?
Deliah: *wiggles eyebrows at me from behind Nawa's head*
Kali: *gets up and walks to the door, tossing her head* Yes. I suppose he is just a very weird man.
Nawa: *hesitantly* yes
Deliah: Or he's in on it
Nawa: Yes
Kali: That would certainly make more sense since HE KISSED HER.
Nawa: WHAT. WE WERE IN A SHADOW. YOU'RE MAKING THAT UP.
Kali: You shadows betrayed you. *to me* it was not a subtle kiss
Nawa: *glancing around for bamboo poles* KALI.
Kali: *screams* (mostly with excitment, but partially with fear)
Nawa: *chases Kali from the room*
Deliah: *following demurely* It was lovely to be here. Thank you for having us.
Me: Oh the pleasure was all mine!
Deliah: *exits*
Me: *yells out door* come back and tell me about the aftermath!
Me: I WANT TO COME TO THE WEDDING
Nawa: *at a distance* I WILL KILL YOU TOO, AUTHOR!
Me: *to myself* I wonder why all my guests end up running from the room? 


. . .



And that's it! If there is any character you want to see in a character interveiw, let me know in the comments! Right now I have the rest of 2019 basically entirely scheduled out and more or less already written. (because otherwise I won't have time for blogging AND school.) Since everything is written out, there isn't a huge chance that you'll see that character interveiw super soon. I can tell you though that there will be an appearance from Brent* and Liam (from Capes, Coffee Shops, And Cake) in early October.

If you have any questions you'd like to see them respond to, go ahead and drop them in the comments as well...


-MK



*I don't think I've talked to much about Liam on the blog before, but Brent was mentioned in a snippet at the end of this post.

Comments

  1. " it so CUTE!"
    awww.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, this was great!!! I loved getting to know those ladies better XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your characters! They have so much spunk and personality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that means so much! I'm always worried that they'll come off flat and emotionless...

      Delete
  4. Love them! Their banter is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very much enjoyed this! ;)

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment